For the period of Sunday, October 18, through Saturday, October 24, the Police Department responded to 900 calls for service of which 113 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, October 18:
1. A suspect entered an unlocked vehicle and stole property while it was parked and unoccupied at 400 S. Baldwin Avenue (Westfield Shopping Town). The crime occurred between 3:15 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Items taken were a laptop computer, iPod, a cellular phone, and miscellaneous personal documents.
2. Shortly after 10:00 p.m., officers stopped a vehicle for a traffic violation. Investigation led to the arrest of the driver for an outstanding warrant.
Monday, October 19:
3. During night time hours a suspect smashed the rear driver’s window of a vehicle parked in the 900 block of Panorama Drive. The suspect entered the vehicle and stole a DVD player.
4. At about 10:15 p.m., an officer saw a pick up truck driving in a reckless manner in the area of Baldwin and Workman Avenues. The officer attempted a traffic stop and the truck fled. A short pursuit ensued until it terminated when the suspect lost control of his vehicle and struck a fire hydrant, shearing it off. The 23-year-old suspect, from Temple City, was arrested and charged with reckless driving and evading a police officer.
Tuesday, October 20:
5. Sometime overnight, suspects entered a residence in the 1600 block of Highland Oaks Drive and stole several kitchen appliances from the garage. The home is undergoing a remodel and was vacant at the time. Entry to the home was made through an unsecured garage door.
6. At about 7:00 p.m., officers responded to the Skate Park at 100 S. Second Avenue reference persons in the park smoking marijuana. Contact with two juveniles led to the issuance of citations for possession of marijuana.
Wednesday, October 21:
7. Around 9:00 p.m., a male suspect entered the east doors of Macy’s Department Store located at 400 S. Baldwin Avenue. The man grabbed twenty-two pair of designer jeans and fled from the store to a waiting pick up truck. The man put the jeans in the bed of the truck and the suspect left the area undetected. Loss is approximately $1,500.00.
8. Shortly before 3:00 p.m., officers responded to a possible embezzlement that occurred at the 99 cent store located in the 100 block of east Duarte Road. Investigation led to the arrest of a 20-year-old male employee for grand theft. The loss is reportedly to be more than $2,000.00 over a two-year time period.
Thursday, October 22:
9. Between 4:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. a 1991 Acura Integra was taken from the parking lot of the Westfield Shopping Town. The vehicle was recovered unoccupied two days later by the Los Angeles Police Department.
10. Around 10:00 p.m., officers responded to the Peck Road Conservation Water Park, 5401 Peck Road on the report of an assault. Upon officers arrival the suspect had already fled. The victim, a homeless person, had been engaged in an argument with another. The argument turned heated and the suspect struck the victim three times with a hatchet causing moderate injury. The victim was treated at Methodist Hospital.
Friday, October 23:
11. At about 3:00 a.m., a man was walking his dog in the County Park, 405 S. Santa Anita Avenue. Upon return to his truck a suspect was stealing a tool box from the bed of the truck. The victim confronted the suspect and a fight ensued. The suspect overpowered the victim and fled with the tools. The victim suffered minor injury.
12. Shortly before 2:00 p.m., a 43-year-old female from Los Angeles was arrested at Abercrombie and Fitch at the Westfield Shopping Town for burglary. The woman entered the store with a large “booster bag” and filled it with $1,150.00 worth of men’s cologne. After leaving the store she was apprehended by security officers who notified the police. The woman was also placed on an immigration detainer by the U.S. Department of Immigration Customs and Enforcement.
Saturday, October 24:
13. A package was stolen from the front porch of a residence in the 400 block of west Longden Avenue. UPS delivered the item and shortly thereafter a suspect ran up to the home and stole it. The theft was captured on surveillance video.
14. Between 6:10 p.m. 7:45 p.m., a vehicle was burglarized while it was parked in the 600 block of Duarte Road. Suspects made entry to the vehicle by smashing the passenger side rear window. Two iPods were taken.