For the period of Sunday, July 5, through Saturday, July 11, the Police Department responded to 923 calls for service of which 129 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, July 5:
1. Shortly after 8:00 p.m., units responded to an injury traffic collision at Foothill and Santa Anita. A driver exited a private driveway, failed to yield to oncoming traffic, and struck a bicyclist. The victim sustained abrasions to his arm and knee.
2. A traffic stop was initiated at Longden and Third for no front license plate around 11:27 p.m. A driver and passenger were contacted, and record checks revealed that the 18-year-old male Hispanic driver had an outstanding warrant and was arrested at the scene.
Monday, July 6:
3. Around 2:25 p.m., officers were dispatched to Ralphs, 211 East Foothill, in regards to a grand theft that occurred between 8:30 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. on July 5. A store clerk noticed an unusually large amount of alcoholic beverages was missing from the shelves. An inventory check revealed that 21 bottles of alcohol, totaling over $1,270, were stolen.
4. A residential burglary occurred between 10:10 a.m. and 3:57 p.m. in the 400 block of Genoa. Unknown suspect(s) pried open the front door, ransacked rooms, and stole cash and jewelry.
Tuesday, July 7:
5. A victim came to the station around 11:42 a.m. to file a domestic violence report. The victim advised that her 40-year-old male Caucasian boyfriend scratched and choked her during an argument.
6. Shortly after 2:00 p.m., a traffic stop was conducted at Baldwin and Huntington for an expired registration tag. During the contact, it was discovered that the 38-year-old male African-American driver had a suspended license and he was cited and released in the field; a 26-year-old female African-American passenger had a $35,000 outstanding warrant and was taken into custody.
Wednesday, July 8:
7. A 1998 silver Honda Civic was stolen from the Westfield Mall parking lot between 9:15 a.m. and 6:05 p.m.
8. Around 9:36 p.m., Westfield Mall security advised that they had detained a man for trespassing. Investigation revealed that the 31-year-old Caucasian had gained access to the third floor level of the old Robinson-May store and had lived there for several days. A stolen purse and Westfield marketing products were recovered at the scene. The man was taken into custody for commercial burglary, receiving stolen property, and vandalism.
Thursday, July 9:
9. Units responded to the 1000 block of West Duarte in reference to a medical emergency. A female victim had ingested a large amount of Valium and alcohol, and officers noticed numerous black and blue bruises on her arm, chest, and back. She indicated that during an argument, her husband struck her many times causing bodily injury. A 55-year-old male Caucasian was arrested for inflicting bodily injury to spouse, and a baggie of marijuana was found in his pocket. The victim was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment and an emergency protection order was acquired and issued.
10. About noon, officers were sent to Jiffy Lube, 5 West Huntington, in reference to a grand theft. A discrepancy in their gasoline fuel reading revealed that 2,000 gallons of gas were stolen. A review of their surveillance video showed that an unauthorized gasoline tanker truck was at the location between 8:00 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. on June 28.
Friday, July 10:
11. A commercial burglary occurred in the 100 block of East Duarte between 6:00 a.m. and 6:17 a.m. Unknown suspect(s) broke an office window with a rock and stole computer equipment and toner cartridges. The total reported loss was about $3,300.
12. Units responded to the 00 block of West Lemon in reference to a suicidal subject who had reportedly overdosed on prescription medication. The man was extremely combative, non-compliant, and had to be Tased. He was transported to a hospital for a mental evaluation and treatment.
Saturday, July 11:
13. Between 9:00 p.m. on July 10 and 11:39 a.m. on July 11, a commercial burglary occurred at Wireless Champs located at Westfield Mall. Unknown suspect(s) entered the kiosk, opened a locked cabinet, and stole a large amount of cellular phones.
14. Loss prevention personnel from Macy’s detained a woman for theft around 5:30 p.m. The suspect removed security sensors and price tags from merchandise while in a fitting room and hid the items in a purse. A record check revealed that the suspect had several outstanding warrants totaling over $20,300, and she was also on probation for robbery. A private person’s arrest was made, and the 26-year-old African-American was taken into custody.