For the period of Sunday, September 20, through Saturday, September 26, the Police Department responded to 964 calls for service of which 130 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, September 20:
1. A motorcyclist was stopped in the 00 block of East Huntington around 8:28 p.m. for a code violation. A record check of the 21-year-old male Caucasian revealed that he had 2 outstanding warrants totaling $61,000 and was arrested at the scene.
2. Shortly after 3:00 a.m., units responded to the 1100 block of Fairview regarding a possible vandalism which occurred on September 19. The resident indicated that he returned home to find two holes in his kitchen window. While he was outside in his backyard, he heard something strike a window upstairs. Investigation revealed that a 22-year-old male Caucasian neighbor was supposedly using his BB gun to shoot at a rat. The victim did not desire prosecution and a report was taken for documentation purpose.
Monday, September 21:
3. Around 10:39 a.m., officers were dispatched to the 300 block of Chelsea in reference to an identity theft report. The victim checked her credit report and discovered that 14 unauthorized accounts were opened since 1983 using her personal identifying information.
4. Between 1:00 p.m. and 2:25 p.m., a green 1995 Honda Civic was stolen from the Westfield Mall parking lot.
Tuesday, September 22:
5. A traffic stop was initiated at Sycamore and Santa Anita around 10:40 p.m. for a code violation. Four occupants were contacted, and record checks revealed that a 19-year-old male Caucasian passenger had a $25,000 outstanding warrant and brass knuckles belonging to him were found on the rear floorboard. The man was arrested for possession of a deadly weapon and outstanding warrant.
6. Another vehicle stop was made at Live Oak and Mayflower around 11:00 p.m. for excessive speed and no front license plate. Officers noticed the odor of marijuana in the vehicle and a 25-year-old male Asian driver was found with marijuana in his pocket. A 24-year-old male Asian passenger also had marijuana in his bag. Both men were cited and released in the field.
Wednesday, September 23:
7. Shortly after 2:00 a.m., a traffic stop was conducted at Las Tunas and Live Oak for a code violation. A 17-year-old male Hispanic driver and 2 other passengers were contacted. A DMV check revealed that the juvenile was unlicensed and a stolen license plate was located inside the vehicle. A 20-year-old male Hispanic passenger was also found with a baggie of white powdery substance resembling cocaine. The juvenile was arrested for receiving stolen property and unlicensed driver; the passenger was taken into custody for possession of a controlled substance.
8. Around 2:53 p.m., an officer saw a vehicle crash into two parked vehicles and fled the scene. The officer followed the vehicle and conducted a traffic stop at Baldwin and Woodruff. A 26-year-old male Vietnamese was arrested for driving while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage.
Thursday, September 24:
9. While conducting extra patrol at Motel 6 around 7:12 a.m., 225 Colorado Place, officers located a guest with a $35,000 outstanding warrant. The officers went to the motel room and arrested a 38-year-old female Hispanic.
10. Around 8:50 p.m., Westfield Mall security had detained a woman for theft at Solstice. The woman was seen taking several pairs of sunglasses and hiding them in a shopping bag. A private person’s arrest was made, and a 38-year-old female Asian was taken into custody for commercial burglary. Additional stolen property from Sports Chalet was found in the shopping bag.
Friday, September 25:
11. Around noon, a victim found two male African-American juveniles ransacking her home in the 1100 block of Encanto. When the suspects saw her, they ran out of the house and witnesses followed them to a Del Taco parking lot at Rosemead and Del Mar. Officers arrived at the scene to find the two suspects entering a vehicle driven by a third suspect. The suspects were detained and stolen jewelry and cash from the victim’s home were recovered. A 25-year-old male African-American driver was arrested for residential burglary and conspiracy; the two 17-year-old juveniles were arrested for residential burglary. The juveniles were booked at City jail and transported to Eastlake Juvenile Detention Center.
12. Units were called to Citibank, 41 East Live Oak, around 3:13 p.m. regarding a forgery in progress. A female Hispanic suspect arrived at the location in a vehicle driven by a male Hispanic. The man stayed in the car while she entered the bank and tried to cash a $2,135 fraudulent check. She fled the scene on foot upon officers’ arrival and was not located during an area search. The driver was detained but claimed no knowledge of the female suspect’s intention. The female suspect had also failed to cash a fraudulent check at another bank location earlier in the day.
Saturday, September 26:
13. Shortly after 2:30 a.m., a witness advised that he was following a possible DUI driver. Officers located the speeding vehicle swerving between lanes, and a traffic stop was made at Santa Anita and Newman. A 48-year-old male Caucasian driver was taken into custody for operating a vehicle while under the influence of an alcoholic beverage.
14. A female suspect was detained by Macy’s loss prevention personnel around 3:00 p.m. for theft. The woman took merchandise into fitting rooms, on two separate occasions, where she removed sensor tags with pliers that she had brought with her. She then placed the property in her purse and a plastic bag. Additional stolen property from Sports Chalet was also recovered. A private person’s arrest was made, and a 41-year-old Asian was taken into custody for commercial burglary and possession of burglary tool.