Calls for Service Formal Investigations
April 25 to May 1 919 139
Total Year to Date for 2010 15,793 2,376
For the period of Sunday, April 25, through Saturday, May 1, the Police Department responded to 919 calls for service of which 139 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, April 25:
1. Around 12:35 p.m., an automated license plate reader alerted officers to a stolen vehicle, and a high risk traffic stop was made at Baldwin and the 210 Freeway. A 20-year-old female driver was arrested for vehicle theft, suspended/revoked license, and four outstanding misdemeanor warrants, totaling $101,438. An inventory search of the vehicle was conducted and an impact weapon/billy club was found, so she was also charged with possession of a weapon.
2. Loss prevention personnel from Macy’s advised that they had detained a woman for theft around 5:18 p.m. The suspect cut the price tags off merchandise while in a fitting room and concealed the items in a shopping bag. A private person’s arrest was made, and a 36-year-old Hispanic was taken into custody for grand theft.
Monday, April 26:
3. Shortly after 1:00 a.m., a 39-year-old male African-American was stopped for erratic driving at Fifth and Huntington. Officers noticed the odor of an alcoholic beverage on his breath, his speech was slurred, and he had an unsteady gait. The driver was uncooperative and refused to perform the field sobriety test. He was arrested for DUI, and an inventory search of the vehicle revealed a loaded revolver in the trunk. He was also charged with carrying a loaded firearm in vehicle.
4. An auto versus pedestrian accident occurred at 100 West Duarte around 3:09 p.m. A 14-year-old male juvenile ran into the street without looking for oncoming traffic and was struck by a vehicle. He was transported to a hospital as a precaution for possible head trauma, and luckily he did not sustain any broken bones or a concussion.
Tuesday, April 27:
5. Two male Caucasian drivers were arrested for DUI. A 36-year-old was arrested around 12:32 a.m. at First and Wheeler; a 27-year-old was arrested at Live Oak and Lenore.
6. Units responded to Santa Anita Inn, 130 West Huntington, around 2:33 a.m. in reference to a possible injury traffic collision. Investigation revealed that an intoxicated 17-year-old male Hispanic drove over a front lawn and damaged a motel sign. A witness advised that he saw the driver throw two cans of beer into a trash can located outside the front lobby area, which was later retrieved. An inventory search of the vehicle also revealed two more open cans of beer and marijuana. The juvenile was arrested for DUI, unlicensed driver, possession of alcohol in vehicle, possession of marijuana in vehicle, minor driving under the influence, and driving with open alcohol container. He was noncompliant and cursed at officers and slammed his head against a car window. While in a non-secured detention room at the station, he continued to bang his head against the walls and spat at the window. He was later released his parents.
Wednesday, April 28:
7. Around 2:51 p.m., loss prevention personnel from JC Penney advised that they had detained a woman for theft. She took clothing item into a fitting room and hid the item in her purse. A private person’s arrest was made, and an 18-year-old Hispanic was taken into custody for commercial burglary. Additional stolen items from Old Navy and Anchor Blue stores were recovered.
8. Between 2:00 p.m. and 7:25 p.m., three auto burglaries occurred at Westfield Mall. A radar detector, an iTouch, and rear seats were stolen from a Chevy Tahoe; an iPod and GPS unit were stolen from another vehicle; a witness saw two male Hispanics break a car window and took a laptop computer and GPS unit from a third vehicle. An area search for the two suspects was conducted, but they were not found.
Sierra Madre PD
During the week of Sunday, May 25th, to Saturday May 30th, the Sierra Madre Police Department responded to approximately 297 calls for service.
Sunday, April 25th:
8:51 AM – Arrest, Violation of a Restraining Order and Resisting Officers, Memorial Park. Officers arrested a transient man who was reportedly throwing rocks at passing cars. The suspect was in violation of a court order prohibiting him from being near Memorial Park. He became combative with officers who had to call for help. The suspect was taken to the Los Angeles County Jail for remand.
12:31 PM – Auto Burglary, 200 block Old Oak Lane. Suspect(s) smashed a car window and stole a Pentax camera and several music CDs. The crime occurred between 6:00 pm, Saturday, 4/24/2010 and 1:00 pm, Sunday, 4/25/2010. The combined loss was estimated in excess of $1050.00.
1:12 PM – Auto Burglary, 100 block West Orange Grove Ave. Suspect(s) smashed the driver’s side car window stealing the following: a Garmin GPS, Garmin Antenna and Nikon binoculars. The crimes occurred between 8:00 pm, Saturday, 4/24/2010 and 1:10 pm, Sunday, 4/25/2010. The loss was estimated at $2837.00.
1:52 PM – Theft from Auto, 100 block West Orange Grove Ave. Suspect(s) ransacked an unlocked car stealing the following: a pair of Ray Ban Sunglasses, a pair of Mark Jacobs Sunglasses and a Mercedes first aid kit. The crimes occurred between 7:30 pm, Saturday, 4/24/2010 and 10:15 am, Sunday, 4/25/2010. The combined loss was estimated in excess of $350.00.
2:13 PM – Auto Burglary, 100 block South Lima St. Suspect(s) smashed the rear passenger side car window stealing $25.00 cash. Additional property was stolen from the Lima Street resident’s open carport, which included a saw table, two mountain bikes, a Razor scooter, a hand drill and assorted hand tools. The crime occurred between 1:30 am, Sunday, 4/25/2010 and 11:30 am, Sunday, 4/25/2010. The loss was estimated to be at least $1675.00.
Thursday, April 29th:
6:33 PM – Residential burglary, 300 block West Carter Ave. Suspect(s) forced open a bathroom window to gain entry The suspect(s) took an H & K semi auto .40 cal. handgun, a Mac Book Pro computer, a platinum wedding ring, a Canon camera, a Sony camera and cash. The crime occurred between 7:30 am and 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, 4/28/2010. The total loss was estimated at $7,700.00
Friday, April 30th:
6:55 AM – Auto Burglary, 00 block East Highland Ave. Suspect(s) smashed the window of a car parked in a carport, activating the vehicle’s alarm. The owner heard the car alarm sound off, inspected his car and found the damages. A computer bag containing a set of earphones was taken. The crime occurred between 10:30 am, Thursday, 4/29/10, and 5:02, Friday, 4/30/2010. The loss was estimated at $50.00.
7:14 AM – Theft from Vehicle, 100 block Merrill Ave. A resident reported a wallet, debit cards and cash was taken from her unlocked car. The crime occurred between 10:30 pm Thursday, 4/29/2010 and 7:00 am Friday, 4/30/2010. The loss was estimated at $23.00.
7:51 AM – Stolen Vehicle, 00 block of East Highland Ave. Suspect(s) stole a black 2001 Toyota Camry from the apartment’s carport area. The crime occurred between 7:00 pm, Thursday, 4/29/2010 and 7:30 am, Friday, 4/30/2010.
11:15 AM – Arrest, Suspicion of Residential Burglary. Officers were dispatched to the area of North Lima Ave. and West Carter Ave. regarding a suspicious man seated in a car. The resident saw the suspect standing near his car with the hood up and talking on a cell phone. The car had a Mexico license plate. The suspect looked down neighbors’ driveways and was not from the area. Due to a burglary on the street a day earlier, the resident notified police. The suspect told officers that he was in the area to look at the snow-capped mountains, and to look for discarded items in wealthy neighborhoods. He had burglary tools in the car and the correct license plates. was arrested for suspicion of burglary. The suspect was transported to the Pasadena Jail for remand.
3:38 PM – Theft from Vehicle, 100 block East Highland Ave. A resident reported her unlocked car was ransacked while parked in her driveway. The loss was her child’s diaper bag. The crime occurred between 7:00 pm, Thursday, 4/29/2010 and 8:45 am, Friday, 4/30/2010. The loss was estimated at $40.00.
Saturday, May 1st:
6:39 AM – Attempted Theft from Vehicle, 400 block Grove St. Suspect(s) entered the unlocked car, but did not take anything. The crime occurred between 4:00 pm, Friday, 4/30/2009 and 8:00 am, Saturday, 5/1/2010. No loss.
8:15 AM – Theft from Vehicle, 500 block North Hermosa Ave. Suspect(s) entered an unlocked car and stole tickets to a carnival and a carnival wrist band. The crime occurred between 4:00 pm, Friday, 4/30/2009 and 8:00 am, Saturday, 5/1/2010. The financial loss was $150.00.
8:44 AM – Attempted Theft from Vehicle, 400 block Grove St. Suspect(s) entered an unlocked car rifling through the interior, but did not taking anything. The crime occurred between 3:30 pm, Friday, 4/30/2009 and 8:30 am, Saturday, 5/1/2010. No loss.
9:14 AM – Theft from Vehicle, 500 North Hermosa Ave. Suspect(s) entered an unlocked car and stole a Pep Boys auto road side emergency kit. The crime occurred between 4:00 pm, Friday, 4/30/2009 and 8:00 am, Saturday, 5/1/2010. The financial loss was estimated at $80.00.
Driving Under the Influence
On April 25 at 2:45 a.m., police received a call from a resident in the 600 block of East Lemon who was awakened by the sound of a loud crash. She looked outside her residence and noticed a vehicle had collided with two parked vehicles. The driver was trying to flee as officers arrived. The officers stopped the driver and determined the driver was under the influence. The driver was arrested.
Gang Injunction Violation Arrest / Curfew Violation
On April 25 at 12:42 p.m., an officer saw two bike riders in the 2500 block of South Peck violating several vehicle code violations. He attempted to stop them, but one of the subjects who is a known gang member ignored his commands and emergency lighting. He then threw something onto the ground. Officers recovered the items he threw, which were a baggie of marijuana, a marijuana pipe and some matches. The gang member was arrested for violating two counts of the gang injunction court order, possession of under one ounce of marijuana, resisting arrest, riding without proper lighting at night, and no stop at a stop sign. He was held due to the likelihood of reoccurrence.
Grand Theft Auto
On April 26 at 7:34 a.m., an officer responded to the 800 block of West Duarte regarding a stolen vehicle report. The victim reported his 1993 Honda Accord was stolen from its assigned parking stall sometime during the night. There was no broken glass on the ground where it had been parked. Investigation continuing
Grand Theft Auto
On April 26 at 12:22 p.m., an officer was dispatched to a business in the 3300 block of South Peck Road on the report of a stolen vehicle. The victim reported that he had gone to the business to look for car parts. He parked his vehicle, a grey and silver Nissan Altima, and went into the location. He returned to where he had parked his car and found it was missing. There was no broken glass on the ground where it had been parked. Investigation continuing.
Petty Theft / Parole Hold
On April 27 at 9:50 a.m., officers responded to a business in the 700 block of East Huntington regarding a petty theft that just occurred. Officers located the suspect at Shamrock and Huntington and detained him. Witnesses positively identified the subject as the suspect and he was arrested. He was later found to be on parole and a parole hold was obtained.
On April 27 at 9:58 a.m., a citizen came to the Police Station to report graffiti at a park in the 300 block of East Lime. Officers responded and found the park was vandalized with written profanity. Public works was notified of the graffiti for cleanup.
On April 27 at 11:42 a.m., officers responded to the high school regarding a student with a knife. The student was found in possession of a two piece knife with four blades. The juvenile was cited and suspended from school.
On April 27 at 4:33 p.m., an officer was requested to the area of Duarte and Mountain by Los Angeles County Fire. A bicyclist traveling south on Mountain was struck by a vehicle driving east on Duarte. The bicyclist was transported to a hospital for evaluation. He complained of knee pain.
Petty Theft with a Prior
On April 28 at 3:32 a.m., an officer went to a business in the 300 block of West Huntington regarding a female in custody for theft. She was arrested per a private persons arrest and brought to the station. At the station, computer checks indicated she had a prior petty theft conviction with time served. She was booked on the felony charge and held.
Outside Agency Assist / Azusa Police Department
On April 28 at 11:01 p.m., Azusa Police Department requested assistance with an assault incident that occurred in their city. The suspect had physically assaulted his pregnant wife. The suspect’s father lives in Monrovia and they requested officers drive by the residence in the 200 block of Poppy to check for the suspect. Monrovia officers located the suspect’s vehicle at the location and the residence was surrounded. Azusa officers responded to the residence and persuaded the suspect to exit the residence. He was arrested without further incident.
On April 29 at 4:38 p.m., officers went to a residence in the 100 block of Wildrose regarding a residential burglary. The suspect smashed a window and made entry into the residence. Investigation continuing.
On May 1 at 6:52 a.m., officers responded to the 300 block of Parkrose and the 700 block of Wildrose regarding three vehicle burglaries that occurred during the night. All three vehicles had a window smashed and various items taken, including a laptop and IPods. Investigation continuing.
On May 1 at approximately 8:20 a.m., officers were dispatched regarding a suspicious subject. A female subject was jogging in the area of Fifth and Hillcrest when an adult male subject in a vehicle drove by her and displayed a pornographic picture outside his vehicle as she passed him. The suspect drove off eastbound on Hillcrest out of sight in an older, dark gray or blue Toyota Corolla. An area check was conducted, but the suspect was not located. Investigation continuing.
Grand Theft Auto Recovery
On May 1 at 11:26 p.m., an officer on patrol in the 100 block of West Huntington located an unoccupied stolen vehicle parked in the area. The vehicle was a 2007 Nissan Sentra. The vehicle was recovered and stored. Investigation continuing.
Assault with a Deadly Weapon