For the period of Sunday, June 27, through Saturday, July 3, the Police Department responded to 826 calls for service of which 119 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, June 27:
1. Between 11:15 a.m. and 11:30 a.m., unknown suspect(s) entered an unlocked vehicle parked at CVS Pharmacy, 1401 S. Baldwin Avenue, and stole a wallet containing cash and credit/debit cards from inside a purse.
2. Sometime between 03/22/10 and midnight on 06/23/10, the ex-boyfriend, a male white, 29 years of age, of the victim used the victim’s debit card account information to make unauthorized purchases totaling $1,220.83, in violation of fraudulent use of access card.
Monday, June 28:
3. Between 12:15 a.m. and 12:50 a.m. on 06/28, the victim got a ride from her friend, a black male, 26 years of age. During the ride, the two argued and once they arrived at the suspect’s house, the suspect proceeded to choke the victim. They then left the house together and while inside the vehicle, the suspect punched the victim in the face approximately 10 times. Fearing for her life, the victim jumped out of the moving vehicle near the intersection of Santa Anita Avenue and Foothill Boulevard and ran to an Arco Gas Station for help. The suspect fled the area.
4. At approximately 12:15 p.m. in the 600 block of Encino Court, unknown suspect(s) entered an open garage and took two men’s mountain bikes, valued at $800. An area check for suspects was met with negative results. The bikes were later found discarded at the Peck Road Water Conservation Park
Tuesday, June 29:
5. Sometime between 4:00 p.m. on 06/28 and 8:00 a.m. on 06/29, unknown suspect(s) cut the pad lock from the victim’s storage unit in the 900 block of West Duarte Road. A suitcase and a stroller were stolen.
6. At approximately 8:00 p.m., unknown suspect(s), two male blacks in their 20’s, entered Ben Bridge Jewelers at 400 South Baldwin Avenue and demanded the keys to the jewelry cases by displaying a handgun. The suspects then used a hammer to open several cases and stole approximately $35,000.00 worth of diamond rings and fled the location to a third suspect who was waiting for them in a getaway vehicle.
Wednesday, June 30:
7. Sometime between 4:00 p.m. on 06/29 and 1:00 p.m. on 06/30, workers removed the tent covering a home in the 1000 block of Diablo Drive, which had been fumigated. They discovered an open window and ransacked master bedroom. Toxic chemicals were still present and officers were unable to access the interior.
8. At approximately 3:30 p.m., a J.C. Penney employee, at 400 South Baldwin Avenue, was arrested for commercial burglary after an internal investigation revealed the employee had been stealing clothing then returning the items for refunds between May 9, 2010 and May 16, 2010. Suspect is a Chinese female, 59 years of age, who was placed under private person’s arrest.
Thursday, July 1:
9. Sometime between 4:45 p.m. on 06/30 and 7:15 a.m. on 07/01, unknown suspect(s) cut the soccer nets and removed them from 2 goal posts. The suspect(s) took the nets to the basketball courts and set them on fire using a spray lubricant as an accelerant.
10. At 8:45 p.m. two suspects, a male Hispanic, 16-17 years of age, and a male black, 16-17 years of age, stole the victim’s purse while she was sitting at the bus stop adjacent to the south curb line of Huntington Drive east of First Avenue. Her purse was recovered; however, her money, miscellaneous credit cards and Identification Card were still missing.
Friday, July 2:
11. At approximately 3:00 p.m., in the 1700 block of Alta Oaks, a male white, 21 years of age, used his cell phone to make a video recording of his friend, the victim, while she was changing in violation of disorderly conduct. The phone was taken into evidence.
12. Between 6:30 p.m. and 6:44 p.m., a female black, 19 years of age, entered Hollister, 400 South Baldwin Avenue, with the intent to steal perfumes. When she was confronted by loss prevention, she fled from the store. She was detained by loss prevention and a private person’s arrest was made for burglary.
Saturday, July 3:
13. Between 12:30 a.m. and 12:36 a.m., the suspect, male black, 28 years of age, approached the victim as she left Garden Café, 850 South Baldwin Avenue. The suspect robbed her of her purse and other property at gunpoint. The suspect fled the scene and an area check led officers to locating the vehicle and subsequently detaining the suspect in the parking lot of Chase Bank at 60 East Huntington Drive. He was arrested for robbery.
14. Between 3:30 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., officers responded to a report of a brush fire north of Bonita Skate Park, 100 S. Second Avenue. The investigation by an Arcadia Fire Department Arson Investigator revealed the fire was intentionally set.
Sierra Madre PD
During the week of Sunday, June 27th, to Saturday July 3rd, the Sierra Madre Police Department responded to approximately 330 calls for service.
Thursday, July 1st:
12:06 PM – Tampering/Injuring a vehicle, 500 block Las Rocas Drive. The front left tire of a parked car was found flattened. The incident occurred between 6:00 am, Wednesday, 6/23/10 and 11:00 am, Thursday, 7/01/2010. Two small puncture marks were found on the tire’s sidewall. The loss was estimated at $70.00.