For the period of Sunday, October 4, through Saturday, October 10, the Police Department responded to 983 calls for service of which 116 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, October 4:
1. Around 6:13 a.m., units responded to Motel 6, 225 Colorado Place, regarding a battery that just occurred. The victim advised that he had told his friend that he was gay, and his friend then struck him numerous times in the face causing minor injuries. The victim was transported to a hospital for medical treatment, and a 48-year-old male Hispanic was arrested at the scene.
2. Between 11:00 p.m. on October 3 and 10:05 a.m. on October 4, an auto burglary was reported in the 00 block of West Sycamore. Unknown suspect(s) entered two vehicles parked in a driveway, ransacked the glove compartments, and stole a GPS unit from one of the vehicles.
Monday, October 5:
3. Shortly before 10:00 a.m., a victim came to the station to file a grand theft report. The victim owns a satellite dish installation company and a 34-year-male Hispanic employee had forged job invoices and received payment for services that were never rendered.
4. JC Penney loss prevention personnel advised that they had detained a man for theft around 2:30 p.m. A 43-year-old African-American was seen hiding bottles of perfume in a large black bag that he had brought into the store, and he was also wearing a stolen jacket. A private person’s arrest was made, and the man was taken into custody for grand theft and possession of drug paraphernalia.
Tuesday, October 6:
5. Between 5:40 p.m. and 6:30 p.m., a 1991 red Honda Accord was stolen from the Westfield Mall parking lot.
6. A residential burglary occurred between 6:00 p.m. on October 4 and 3:00 p.m. on October 6 in the 400 block of West Duarte. Unknown suspect(s) made forced entry through a sliding glass window, and the suspect(s) stole several television sets, computers, cash, and other property.
Wednesday, October 7:
7. Around midnight, units responded to the 200 block of Hillgreen regarding black bears nesting at several different locations in the neighborhood. For the past several months, the bears ate fruit from fruit trees, rummaged through trash cans, and damaged fences. Officers found several nesting sites and sprayed repellent at the locations hoping to deter the bears from returning. The Department of Fish and Game was contacted regarding the possibility of either trapping and relocating the bears or destroying the bears, and the decision was made that if the animals were seen again then they must be destroyed before someone was injured.
8. Loss prevention personnel from JC Penney advised that they had detained two Hispanic female juveniles for theft around 8:48 p.m. The girls took merchandise into fitting rooms and then hid the items on their persons and in their bags. Private persons’ arrests were made, and a 15 and 17-year-old were taken into custody.
Thursday, October 8:
9. Around 6:10 p.m., officers returned to the 200 block of Hillgreen regarding a black bear in a backyard. Since all the deterrents had failed and for the safety of the residents, the bear was killed and the Department of Fish and Game responded to remove the carcass.
10. Units were dispatched to the 1700 block of El Vista around 7:25 p.m. regarding a vehicle theft report. The victim advised that his car was stolen and officers later located the vehicle and a high risk traffic stop was made. The driver turned out to be the victim’s daughter, and investigation revealed that she had permission to use the car but her father had wanted to teach her a lesson after an argument. A 53-year-old male Caucasian was arrested for making a false police report and the 18-year-old female was taken into custody for an outstanding misdemeanor warrant.
Friday, October 9:
11. Between 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 1000 block of West Huntington. Unknown suspect(s) entered the apartment through an unlocked window and stole cash and jewelry.
12. A second black bear was seen in the 200 block of Hillgreen around 8:20 p.m., and the bear was also destroyed.
Saturday, October 10:
13. Seven auto burglaries occurred between 5:00 p.m. on October 9 and 11:20 a.m. on October 10th. The burglaries occurred in the 200 and 400 blocks of San Antonio, 500 and 600 blocks of San Luis Rey, and 300 block of Santa Cruz.
14. A grand theft from vehicle occurred at a Marie Callendar’s parking lot, 820 South Baldwin, between 2:30 p.m. and 2:50 p.m. Unknown suspect(s) entered the unlocked vehicle and stole a handbag containing a large amount of cash.