For the period of Sunday, October 11, through Saturday, October 17, the Police Department responded to 854 calls for service of which 145 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, October 11:
1. An armed robbery occurred around 7:45 a.m. in the 5000 block of South Peck. Two men were sitting in a parked vehicle when a male Hispanic approached, produced a handgun, and demanded their wallets. They complied and the suspect fled in an older grey BMW driven by another male Hispanic. An area search was conducted, but the suspects were not located.
2. Units responded to President Square, 1300 South Golden West, in reference to a strong-arm robbery that occurred around 5:20 p.m. A male Hispanic, 30’s, approached the victim and demanded her purse. The woman refused and he grabbed her purse, pulled her to the ground, and dragged her for about 10 feet before she released her purse. The suspect took the purse and fled in a tan Honda. The suspect was not found during an area search.
Monday, October 12:
3. Shortly before 10:00 a.m., officers were dispatched to a business in the 11700 block of Clark regarding a grand theft report. The victim hired a cargo company to transport 944 cartons of plastic scooters to Texas. On October 5, a male Middle Eastern driver, 35-40 years of age, loaded his truck with the merchandise, but the shipment never arrived in Texas. The total reported loss was over $50,400.
4. Units were called to the 1800 block of El Vista regarding a vandalism incident that occurred around 11:30 p.m. A victim had discovered that his car window was smashed and his mailbox was damaged. He saw a man carrying a baseball bat near the area but was unable to detain the suspect so he called the police. Officers later found an intoxicated 33-year-old male Caucasian and arrested him for vandalism and disorderly conduct/drunk in public. Further investigation revealed that several other vehicles and mailboxes were also vandalized from El Vista to Sierra Madre to Perkins.
Tuesday, October 13:
5. Shortly before 3:00 p.m., an officer stopped a vehicle near Second Street and Foothill Blvd. During the contact the officer smelled an odor of marijuana in the car. Further investigation revealed marijuana in three different locations in the vehicle as well as a police issue only PR-24 baton. Both passengers were cited for the marijuana possession and the driver was arrested for possession of the baton.
6. Between Sunday evening and Tuesday morning suspects entered a Honda Civic which was parked in the 500 block of Fairview Avenue and tried to steal it. The steering column in and around the ignition was damaged. The suspects abandon their efforts to steal the vehicle and took an MP-3 player from inside the car before leaving the area unseen.
Wednesday, October 14:
7. Around 7:00 a.m., a residence in the 1100 block of Singingwood Drive was burglarized. The resident awoke to a figure standing in the bedroom doorway. When the victim made himself known, the suspect fled the home and the area undetected. Investigation revealed the suspect made entry through an unsecured kitchen window and had taken the victim’s purse and contents.
8. Between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. suspects smashed out a rear passenger window of a Chevrolet Suburban and took property from inside. The vehicle had been parked and unoccupied in the 11000 block of Clark Street. Items taken were the in-vehicle television monitor and the victim’s purse.
Thursday, October 15:
9. Shortly before 10:00 a.m. an officer contacted a female in the parking lot a motel located in the 200 block of Colorado Place. A records check revealed she had two outstanding felony warrants for her arrest. One warrants for theft and the other for forgery. The suspect was arrested.
10. Around 10:20 p.m. an officer made a traffic stop on a vehicle in the 00 block of east Huntington Drive. Investigation led to the arrest of the driver for three misdemeanor warrants and possession of marijuana.
Friday, October 16:
11. Between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. unknown suspects smashed the front window of a business in the 500 block of Las Tunas. The business was unoccupied at the time of the crime and no property was taken.
12. Officers were dispatched to a motel in the 100 block of west Huntington Drive a report of a man down. Upon arrival officers discovered a man lying in the bushes. While rendering aid, it was discovered the man was too intoxicated to care for his safety. He was arrested for drunk in public, processed, and later released after he sobered.
Saturday, October 17:
13. Shortly after 1:00 a.m. officers were dispatched to an assistance needed call in a home in the 00 block of Alta Street. Upon arrival the officer could hear a woman calling for help from inside. With no other viable alternative, the officer forced entry to the home and discovered the elderly woman had fallen on the floor and she was not able to get up. Paramedics were on scene and were able to render aid.
14. Between 4:30 p.m. and 5:00 pm.., unknown suspects removed gardening equipment from the rear of a Chevrolet Astro van which was parked in the 500 block of Fairview Drive. The landscaper, and owner of the van, was in the rear yard of a residence working at the time of the theft. No suspects were seen.