For the period of Sunday, September 6, through Saturday, September 12, the Police Department responded to 902 calls for service of which 143 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, September 6:
1. Between 8:00 a.m. on August 23 and 7:30 a.m. on September 6, a residential burglary occurred in the 200 block of Carolwood. Unknown suspect(s) smashed a dining room window to enter the home. Once inside, the suspect(s) took miscellaneous jewelry.
2. A petty theft from vehicle occurred between 11:15 p.m. on September 5 and 7:45 a.m. on September 6 in the 900 block of West Huntington. Unknown suspect(s) entered the locked vehicle by unknown means and stole $250 from the glove compartment.
Monday, September 7:
3. A victim came to the station around 9:12 a.m. to file a fraud report. The man claimed that his 33-year-old son had stolen his credit card and made over $1,620 in unauthorized charges between May 23 and June 4. The victim was not desirous of prosecution.
4. Around 6:18 p.m., loss prevention personnel from Macy’s advised that they had detained a woman for theft. The suspect brought an empty Macy’s shopping bag and empty shoebox to the store and hid merchandise in the bag and shoebox while in a fitting room. A private person’s arrest was made, and a 47-year-old Asian was taken into custody for commercial burglary and possession of burglary tools.
Tuesday, September 8:
5. Shortly before 1:00 a.m., units responded to the 100 to 1 Bar, 100 West Huntington, in reference to a fight in front of the location. While en route to the scene, Dispatch advised that one of the involved parties had fled in a silver Mercedes. An area search was conducted, and the suspect vehicle was stopped at Santa Anita and Diamond. A 24-year-old male Caucasian driver was contacted and ensuing investigation revealed that he had a suspended license and a $30,000 outstanding misdemeanor warrant. A green leafy substance resembling marijuana was also found on his person during a consent search. The man was arrested without incident.
6. A bicyclist was stopped at Huntington and Gate 3 around 10:56 p.m. for a code violation. A record check indicated that the 50-year-old Caucasian was on probation for burglary, and a consent search revealed tools that are commonly used in burglaries. The man was taken into custody and booked at the City jail.
Wednesday, September 9:
7. Units responded to Mailbox and Postal, 411 East Huntington, around 11:45 a.m. in reference to a robbery that just occurred. Two male African-American suspects entered the location brandishing handguns and took money from the cash register. An area search was conducted, but the suspects were not found.
8. Around 2:43 p.m., officers were dispatched to the N’Connect kiosk located at Westfield Mall regarding an embezzlement report. A 31-year-old male Asian employee failed to deposit earnings to the bank on several occasions and also stole cash from a safe.
Thursday, September 10:
9. Three auto burglaries were reported at a Coco’s parking lot, 1150 West Colorado, between 3:30 p.m. on September 9 and 12:07 a.m. on September 10. Unknown suspect(s) smashed car windows and removed property.
10. A representative from First Bank came to the station around 2:02 p.m. to file a forgery report. On August 17, a female suspect cashed a $976 counterfeit check at the location.
Friday, September 11:
11. Around 4:08 a.m., units were dispatched to Motel 6, 225 Colorado Place, regarding a disturbance. Officers contacted two occupants in a room, and a consent search revealed methamphetamine and a glass-smoking pipe hidden underneath a mattress. A 46-year-old male Caucasian and a 39-year-old female Caucasian were both arrested for possession of a controlled substance and drug paraphernalia.
12. Officers responded to Santa Anita and Duarte around 6:51 a.m. in reference to a possible DUI driver. Upon arrival, a male driver was found asleep at the wheel with the car still running. Ensuing investigation revealed that the man had taken about 50 sleeping pills in an attempted suicide. He was transported to a nearby hospital for treatment and psychological evaluation.
Saturday, September 12:
13. Shortly after 3:00 a.m., units were dispatched to Santa Anita Inn, 130 West Huntington, in regards to a vehicle theft. The victim went to a party at the location and later fell asleep. When she awoke, her car keys were missing and her car was stolen. She believes that two male Hispanic party-goers may have taken her vehicle.
14. Two auto burglaries occurred between 6:00 p.m. on September 11 and 11:00 a.m. on September 12; one in the 800 block of Monte Verde and the other in the 300 block of Cambridge. In both incidents, the suspects took the in-dash radio/navigation system and a third row seat.