For the period of Sunday, July 19 through Saturday, July 25, the Police Department responded to 949 calls for service of which 140 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, July 19:
1. Units responded to American Apparel located at Westfield Mall around 1:44 p.m. in reference to a theft. An employee saw a female juvenile conceal merchandise into her purse and was detained. Additional stolen property from Victoria’s Secret, H&M, Vans, and Cali Fashion were also recovered. A private person’s arrest was made, and a 15-year-old Caucasian was taken into custody for commercial burglary.
2. Around 9:00 p.m. officers were flagged down by a motorist at Fairview and Baldwin regarding a road rage vandalism incident. The victim advised that a male Asian driver, in his 20’s, narrowly missed hitting her car. He gave her a dirty look and she reciprocated with a finger gesture. He stopped his silver Mercedes, exited, and kicked her car door, denting it.
Monday, July 20:
3. Shortly after 2:00 p.m., units were dispatched to the 1300 block of Michillinda in reference to a drowning accident. A 10-year-old girl was swimming with other children but was later discovered in the deep end of the swimming pool. She was retrieved from the pool and CPR was performed. The girl was transported to AMH and then to Huntington Memorial for more advanced treatment due to her serious condition. Unfortunately, the girl later died at the hospital.
4. Officers responded to Colorado and Vaquero shortly after 3:30 p.m. on the report of a reckless driver. The suspect vehicle was located at Colorado and Oakhurst and the vehicle was swerving back and forth between lanes of traffic. A traffic stop was initiated and officers detected the odor of an alcoholic beverage on the driver’s breath and person. A field sobriety test was conducted and it was determined that the 39-year-old male Hispanic driver was operating the vehicle while under the influence. The man was arrested at the scene and a consent search of his vehicle revealed several empty beer cans on the floorboard, an open can of beer, and also several cans of unopened beer.
Tuesday, July 21:
5. Around 4:16 p.m., while conducting a location check, officers saw three male subjects sitting on the sidewalk in the 600 block of East Live Oak. Consensual contacts were made and record checks revealed that a 37-year-old Hispanic had an outstanding felony warrant and a $50,000 outstanding misdemeanor warrant. The man was arrested at the scene without incident.
6. A 20-year-old female African-American was arrested for battery and disorderly conduct/drunk in public at Motel 6, 255 Colorado Place, around 10:52 p.m. During an argument with her boyfriend, she bit and slapped him.
Wednesday, July 22:
7. Between 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 500 block of East Las Flores. Unknown suspect(s) pried open a rear slider to enter the house. Once inside, the suspect(s) ransacked rooms and stole an expensive watch, designer wallet, and miscellaneous property.
8. An auto burglary occurred at Westfield Mall between 2:00 p.m. and 9:30 p.m. Unknown suspect(s) punched the door lock and removed the rear seats of the vehicle. The suspect(s) also took a pair of designer sunglasses.
Thursday, July 23:
9. Units were called to the Urban Street store located at Westfield Mall around 10:55 a.m. in reference to a robbery and commercial burglary that just occurred. The owner opened the store and found a bald male Caucasian, 20 to 30 years of age, 5’10”, 230 pounds, inside. The suspect tried to leave the store with a bag full of sunglasses and a bank money bag, but the owner wrapped his arms around the suspect’s neck. The owner was struck in face several times, and the suspect fled without any property. Investigation revealed that the suspect gained access into the store through an attic area.
10. Between 8:15 a.m. and 8:00 p.m., a residential burglary occurred in the 400 block of East Camino Real. Unknown suspect(s) pried open a rear door, ransacked rooms, and stole a large amount of jewelry and a handgun.
Friday, July 24:
11. Around 2:42 p.m., units were dispatched to First and Alta in reference to a man soliciting business without a license and performing unauthorized service on fire extinguishers. A private person’s arrest was made, and a 23-year-old Caucasian was taken into custody for commercial burglary and conducting business in the city without a license.
12. A grand theft occurred at Westfield Mall between 9:00 p.m. on July 19 and 9:00 p.m. on July 24. Unknown suspect(s) gained entry into the mall’s storage area by unknown means and stole three 18-gallon plastic containers filled with jewelry.
Saturday, July 25:
13. Shortly before 1:00 a.m., an intoxicated 22-year-old male Hispanic driver struck a parked vehicle at Sunset and Huntington. He was taken into custody for DUI without incident.
14. Units were dispatched to the 700 block of West Huntington around 12:23 a.m. in reference to an altercation between father and son. Investigation revealed that during the argument, an intoxicated 15-year-old male Hispanic choked his father. The juvenile was belligerent and disobeyed all commands by officers. He kicked, spat, and head-butted officers, and he also banged his own head against a window and ground. Officers had to cradle his head to prevent him from inflicting further injury onto himself. The juvenile was transported to AMH for treatment and was later cleared for booking. He was charged with battery on peace officers, battery, obstructing/resisting, and disorderly conduct/drunk in public. The juvenile was subsequently transported to Eastlake Juvenile Detention Center.