For the period of Sunday, May 2, through Saturday, May 8, the Police Department responded to 868 calls for service of which 142 required formal investigations. The following is a summary report of the major incidents handled by the Department during this period.
Sunday, May 2:
1. Suspects entered a locked and fenced property in the 2000 block of Sixth Avenue overnight and stole professional contractor tools from the unsecured home that is being remodeled. Tools valued at $2,500.
2. Just before 2:00 p.m. a woman was shopping at Old Navy at the Westfield Shopping Town. She stopped to feed her baby and while she was distracted, someone stole the wallet from her purse which had been stored under the baby stroller.
Monday, May 3:
3. Two vehicles parked in the 100 block of California Street were broken into overnight. Suspects smashed the passenger side front window of each vehicle and took miscellaneous property including a cellular phone, a Sirius radio, and a GPS unit.
4. An officer made a traffic stop on a vehicle near Second Avenue and Huntington Drive around 6:30 p.m. The driver displayed symptoms of intoxication. Field sobriety tests were conducted and the driver was arrested for DUI. A breathalyzer was administered and the 63-year-old Arcadia man had a blood/alcohol level twice the legal limit.
Tuesday, May 4:
5. Around 1:00 a.m. officers responded to the report of suspicious persons in the area. Police contacted and arrested an 18-year-old Covina man who was in possession of burglary tools. Investigation also led officers to a cold-plated stolen vehicle in the area. During interrogation the man admitted to driving the stolen car to the area to commit burglaries.
6. Shortly before 2:00 p.m. two windows in the Chamber of Commerce building, located in the 300 block of Huntington Drive, were shattered. Investigation revealed a BB gun was used to commit the vandalism. No one was injured and no suspects were seen.
Wednesday, May 5:
7. Two DUI arrests were made. A 26-year-old Pasadena man was arrested at about 1:45 a.m. at Baldwin Avenue and Camino Real; and a 23-year-old La Puente man was arrested shortly before 11:00 p.m. near Ninth Avenue and Live Oak Avenue. Both arrestees had blood/alcohol levels above the legal limit.
8. About 2:00 p.m. officers responded to the area of Colorado Place and San Juan Drive on the report of a man in traffic. Officers located a 21-year-old Pasadena man who was suicidal. The man was taken into protective custody and transported to a psychiatric facility for evaluation and treatment.
Thursday, May 6:
9. About 9:30 a.m. two High School students were arrested on campus for possession of marijuana. Both students were issued citations and released to their parents.
10. An 18-year-old Arcadia man was arrested for possession of marijuana and possession of a dangerous weapon. The man was in a vehicle at around 8:30 p.m. in an alley in the 700 block of Southview Road when a patrol officer made contact with him and a companion. An investigation led to the arrest.
Friday, May 7:
11. An 18-year-old El Monte woman was detained for a theft investigation at a store in the Westfield Shopping Town. Police discovered a dagger with a 5″ blade in her purse. She was subsequently arrested for possession of a dangerous weapon.
12. Shortly before 9:00 p.m. a 56-year-old West Covina woman was arrested for drunk in public in the 00 block of east Huntington Drive.
Saturday, May 8:
13. A 1994 Acura Integra was stolen from the alley in the 00 block of east Duarte Road. The theft occurred overnight and no suspects were seen.
14. Around noon an 18-year-old Los Angeles woman was arrested for steal clothing items from American Apparel, located in the Westfield Shopping Town.
During the last fourteen day period, the Police Department handled 1099 service events, resulting in 273 investigations. Following are the last week’s highlighted issues and events:
On May 2 at 1:40 a.m., an officer was driving by a night club in the 300 block of South Myrtle and saw numerous subjects fighting. Assisting officers arrived and detained several individuals. During the investigation, it was discovered that the victim was exiting the night club when he was confronted by four male gang members. The suspects challenged the victim and then struck him in the face. The victim fell to the ground and two of the suspects began to kick him. The victim was pulled away by friends and the suspects began fighting other subjects. When the suspects noticed the officers, they fled to the rear of the club, where several individuals were detained. A field show up was conducted and two of the suspects were identified as the individuals who struck and kicked the victim. The suspects were arrested and the victim was taken to a hospital, where he was treated for his injuries.
Driving Under the Influence / Traffic Collision
On May 2 at 3:46 a.m., officers were dispatched to the area of Foothill and Madison regarding a crashing sound. When they arrived, they determined that the suspect had been driving west on Foothill and made the turn onto Madison at a high rate of speed, causing him to lose control of the vehicle. The vehicle struck the curb, causing the rear wheel to come off the vehicle. The officers determined the driver to be under the influence. The driver was arrested and brought to the station for booking.
On May 3 at 9:05 a.m., a business in the 300 block of West Foothill called to report vandalism to their building. The victim reported that several windows had been damaged. Investigation continuing.
On May 4 at 12:26 p.m., an officer was dispatched to the high school regarding a student with a knife. An 18-year-old female student had been taken to the nurse’s office because she was acting strange. She was determined to be okay, but while there, a search of her purse revealed she was in possession of a four inch, lockable folding knife. She was arrested and booked.
Commercial Burglary / Conspiracy / Petty Theft with a Prior
On May 4 at 1:00 p.m., an officer responded to a business in the 500 block of West Huntington regarding two female adults in custody for shoplifting. The officer determined the females had shared a bag in which they both concealed clothing. Both females were arrested and brought to the station for booking. One of the women had a prior conviction for petty theft.
On May 4 at 1:14 p.m., an officer went to a business in the 100 block of South Myrtle on the report of a burglary. The reporting party told the officer that five pieces of furniture were taken from the location sometime between Friday, April 30 and Saturday, May 1. Investigation continuing.
Burglary / Vandalism
On May 4 at 4:09 p.m., an officer was dispatched to a business in the 500 block of Sombrero regarding a burglary report. The victim told the officer he showed up at the property for the first time and found the front door missing, appliances missing, and vandalism to the inside of the building. The victim does not know when this took place. Investigation continuing.
On May 6 at 3:38 p.m., officers responded to a residence in the 700 block of West Chestnut on the report of a burglary. The reporting party stated that his government-issued laptop and identification were stolen from his residence while he was upstairs in the shower. The suspect entered the house through a window. Investigation continuing.
Driving Under the Influence – Suspect Arrested
On May 8 at 2:27 a.m., an officer was driving east on Duarte Road and noticed a vehicle in front of him swerving on the roadway. He stopped the driver, who appeared to be under the influence. The driver was so intoxicated she could not remember where she was. The driver was arrested and taken into custody.
Driving Under the Influence – Suspect Arrested
On May 8 at 2:26 a.m., an officer was driving east on Duarte Road and noticed a vehicle on the roadway with no headlights during darkness. A traffic stop was conducted. The driver was determined to be driving while under the influence. The driver was arrested and taken into custody.
On May 8 at 4:15 a.m., officers responded to a business in the 400 block of West Foothill regarding a burglary in progress. A witness heard glass breaking and noticed a male subject inside a business. The witness called police, but the suspect had fled prior to officers arriving. During the investigation, the officers determined the suspect had picked up the cover of a water meter and broke the glass front door to the business. The suspect checked the register, which was empty, and fled. The investigation is continuing.
On May 8 at 9:27 a.m., an officer responded to a business in the 400 block of West Foothill. A suspect used a piece of concrete to smash the front window of the business and make entry. The suspect rummaged through the counter area. It is unknown if any property was taken. Investigation continuing.
Sierra Madre PD
During the week of Sunday, May 2th, to Saturday May 8th, the Sierra Madre Police Department responded to approximately 277 calls for service.
Wednesday, May 5th:
3:02 PM – Armed Robbery, 300 block Grove Street. Two male Hispanic men walked up to the victim, who was gardening at a residence. One suspect pointed a handgun at the victim as they stole the lawn mower he was using in the front yard. The suspects, who were described as 5’10”, medium build, wearing white t-shirts, put the lawnmower in the rear cargo area of a mid- 1990’s, gray or silver Jeep Cherokee. The Cherokee was driven by a third male Hispanic, who sped off southbound on Grove Street and west on Grandview Ave. The crime occurred at 2:50 p.m. on Wednesday, 5/5/2010. The loss was estimated at $1,200.00
Saturday, May 8th:
8:20 AM – Attempted Residential Burglary, 200 block West Carter Ave. Unknown suspect(s) damaged the door lock, smashed a windowpane and pried a rear door to try to gain entry into a home tented for fumigation. The crime occurred between 12:00 noon, Friday, 5/7/2010 and 7:30 AM, Saturday 5/8/2010. The damages were estimated at $50.00.