News

Metro’s Arcadia Paid Parking Lot Half Empty

The top level of the Arcadia Gold Line Station parking structure. – Photo by Terry Miller/Beacon Media News

By Terry Miller

A well-known local attorney and former mayor, Jim Helms, Jr., looked out of his office window Friday and was shocked to see that the top parking level at the Gold Line parking structure was virtually empty.

“Metro said that the Arcadia parking structure was over crowded, so they put a $3 parking fee. Now you could play baseball on the top floor … the inside parking sign said 192 spaces vacant. Looks like they succeeded beyond their wildest expectations,” Helms said.

According to Metro, the following fees have been established at the Metro Arcadia Gold Line Station:

• Transit monthly permit parking will require a $59 monthly flat rate.
  • Transit monthly carpool permit parking will require a $45 monthly flat rate.
  • Daily parking rates for transit users with verified ridership within 96 hours of parking their vehicle will require a $3 daily flat rate.
  • Rates may be negotiated between Metro and tenant, government or business entity.

There are 300 spots available.

Beacon Media has reached out to Metro for comment on this issue.

June 11, 2019

About Author

Terry Miller

6 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Metro’s Arcadia Paid Parking Lot Half Empty”

1. TeacFan says:

As if this could not have been predicted. Street parking & the huge lot on Wheeler or drive (!) to Sierra Madre Villa which is amazingly still free.

2. Elena says:

I’ve never once seen it empty. I worked at 223 first and parking for that building is limited I’ve considered paying to park but never once was able to get an available spot

3. Elenatrix says:

4. ArcadianJ says:

Well done Metro!
    So much for promoting public transportation by charging $3 per day parking ripping needy people off and forcing to deepen carbon footprint.

5. G says:

Yea. Ive seen it Empty.

6. Kris says:

Since they started charging on June 1st, the lot has been MUCH lighter during the week. I’m not sure what the compromise is here. When it was free parking, I rarely found a spot after 8am (ie after I dropped kids at school).
    In addition to the $3 fee, parking requires an active TAP card. I wonder if the full lot was actually Metro riders that have since sought out free parking at Sierra Madre Villa, or if the lot was being used by many non-riders, or park-and-riders… It will be curious what the net effect is on ridership. How many people will stop riding because of the parking fee vs the people that start riding consistently because they can count on being able to park at those stations again?